Tuesday, 21 July 2015
The Special Olympics World Games is one of the most inspiring events you will ever witness in your life. Here you will see athletes and coaches from all over the world come together to compete and show spectators that courage and skill are not limited to people with no disabilities. This year, the nine-day sporting event will be held at Los Angeles from July 25 to August 2, 2015.
If you’re planning to go, here are some facts you need to know about the 2015 Special Olympics World Games:
1. It is the largest sports humanitarian event in the world this year. Around 6,500 athletes, 2,000 coaches, 30,000 volunteers, and 500,000 spectators are expected to take part in the Special Olympics.
2. It will feature 25 Olympic-style sports. These include gymnastics, basketball, triathlon, football, powerlifting, aquatics, tennis, and more!
3. ESPN will cover the event. If you can’t make it, you can watch the competition at the comfort of your own home!
4. The competition is only for athletes with intellectual disabilities. This could be a result of an injury, disease, or genetics. Some common intellectual disabilities include Down syndrome and autism.
5. This is the first time that the U.S. will host the World Games after 16 years. South Korea hosted the Winter World Games 2013 while Greece hosted the Summer World Games back in 2011.
6. First Lady Michelle Obama will officially open the sporting event. She will be joined by a surprise guest—a Special Olympics athlete—who will light the torch.
7. The lighting of the Olympic Flame will be held at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Stars will be performing at the event such as Stevie Wonder, Avril Lavigne, Nicole Scherzinger, and more!
8. Timothy Shriver won the bid in 2011 to have the Special Olympics held in the U.S. He is the son of Eunice Kennedy Shriver, the founder of the Special Olympics around 50 years ago.
9. The estimated budget for the World Olympics is around $60 million. It is funded by private donors, corporate sponsors, and other partners.
10. Ticket prices range from $30.00 to $120.00 (subject to change). Attendees can avail of a special 25% discount on opening ceremony tickets! You can know more about this offer here.
We hope you’ll be inspired by the camaraderie, determination, joy, and bravery of these athletes from across the globe. Rarely will you see the tenacity of the human spirit being exalted in a big stage. We take our hats off to these courageous men and women who are seeing way past their limitations and accomplish something bigger than them!